Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Skills to pursue

I am quite sure of the fact that skill is applied knowledge done repeatedly well. Now the next question that arises in my mind is which skills are more important and which are not. The best example I have experienced is my typing. Initially, I just tampered with the keys. I started with 20wpm. I think I have told this one in my previous blog. Any way, for those who are reading it now I shall tell once again. With just the knowledge about where the keys were like ASDFEX etc I am now able to do it in a incalculable speed. I am really proud of it to acquire such heights in my typing. You would say what a useless skill it is to pursue. You will say that typing is best left to typist. That is true to a certain extent but on the other hand, if you are not the CEO of a company you have to type for yourself. No one else will help you do it.


Other skills I have explored that are totally different from this skill. And that is listening, speaking, other communication skills, managing skills, leadership skills, and so on... the list is infinite.


The skill you pursue is totally dependent on the profession you are in. If you are a orator then you need not have typing skills that is very clear. If you are an officer goer you need these skills. And that is why they have appointed you.


I thought the moment I have the knowledge I would soon become skillful. That is certainly not true. Skill is so much woven in your life that if you don't use them they become extinct. The above mentioned skills can be acquired only when you are in the proper platform or should I say the skill you want to direly pursue. An MD or a VP will be more interested in leadership skills and communication skills. They speak the language of their followers. They cannot seperate from them. They speak should I say local. That is all.


Other skills for the employees are letter writing skills, report making skills, making balance sheet, taking interviews etc. If these skills are not there then you would never become a good employer. Companies hire you for that. No doubt, they also look for attitude. We assume here that attitude is required and every one possess it. Competence in a particular skill can be highly rewarding and may fetch you the next promotion and increment. So diligent people strive for it. They do it all day.


To master one skill all I have found is you need diligence, determination, devotion and persistence. Once you put these into practice then you have mastered the craft. Every craft needs dedication and that is how we have talented employees who are hot favourites in the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment