Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A CITY STRANGER

A CITY STRANGER

Early in the morning I woke up. It was already 10 o clock. Nothing new to me. After all I am jobless. Startled! There is still something more startling, without job for the last 8 months. That seems to be a lot of time. Isn’t it? I can’t blame anyone, neither you nor me. But I can blame us and the way we run the world.

Tired of constant shower of words from my neighbors who don’t give me a chance to take my breathe. I have already decided that I will go for a walk and come back after an hour or so. I walk to the garden sometimes, then, I walk along the pavements near the main road. Luckily the traffic has changed. I mean to say that the traffic has reduced, because there is a flyover that is constructed over the main road. This makes crossing safer for the pedestrians. There is still some problem like the underground of the bridge is not clean. For the time being the people in the car are spared of such visuals.

By the way it is better to mention what I need to do rather than what others have to do. While walking I see some kids making fun of something, it could be me, neither the time not the inclination to do postmortem.

As I travel further I meet up with a confused driver who wants to know where Shanmukhananda hall is. It was far away from where we were standing, but I was ready to give him direction more towards it rather then explaining it fully. He thanked me for that. And you know whenever I am thanked I feel great. Just as one praise lasts for three winter months?

I came back to my home. The laughter was gone. They had changed their mood. I think somewhere I must concentrate on what I do rather than poking nose in other’s affairs. I am deaf. I say it aloud, once again. I am DEAF. I walked further and I came back to the garden. They call it 5 gardens. There are 5 gardens surrounding one garden. The area is huge. There is enough space for people. I have seen pairs walking together, I have seen bikers doing their stunts, I have seen people who have fat tummy jogging, a group of 5 to 10 college students gossiping and having fun. This I like very much. They are so vibrant. Other guys who must be doing physical work, building their muscles at the garden premises. They forget the diet part. I should I told them but that is quite uneasy to talk to a stranger about what you are doing is wrong. It is so unfortunate that our vibrancy goes after we become old. Any way, I continued my lackluster walk around the 5 gardens.

I see my college. Old and retired as ever. They seem to be constructing road. I am not sure but I saw something like this. Near the outskirts of the hostel there is a Chinese road side food-monger. He seems to be in full short. Wonderful smell as I pass around it. People don’t have chairs. They sit near the cement hedge of the college and have their dinner. I presume it to be a dinner because they eat at 8 to 9 o clock. I encircle the college and then it is one straight walk. From one end to the other end, it takes 20 minutes or so. Some cars zoom across my sight and others trod. Some whooshes while the others are big daddy of cars impressing every pedestrian walking on the road. To the right of the pavements is a leprosy hospital and near that again is my school. If I would have taken that path I would have had to walk still further. I refrained doing so. So I continued my night journey walking on the footpath and that is what we call a walkway. There is the Don Bosco School. I failed to tell you that I had a phone from my earlier colleague asking me where the school or rather to be particular where the church is. I took left from there, finding the coconut seller beside my college shut his shop. I have a thumb rule as such when I find my legs paining then I move towards the house and when I find my legs are okay then I move away. This is a simple heuristics but so often we fail to see what we feel. So my tired legs told me loudly I cannot walk further so take a left turn and that is better. I continued to walk towards my home and then in a zig zag I was pleased to find it. The Pan wala made it easier to detect that I am walking towards my home. Have you eaten pan? It is delicious.

What I get most irritated during my walk. Cars’ headlights. They are so bright they take away the safety and pleasure of walking. They glare you right on your eyes. Doesn’t matter. Like any other Indian I am also used to it.

My day doesn’t end with all this. I have my intermittent food and probably at the right time. Sometimes it goes wayward. It all depends on my sleeping time. The time I wake up. I instantly put my computer on, or on my TV to see the recent bomb blast where 13 people were killed and around 117 people injured. It is sad. Even with so much development we still have to face terrorism. The politicians are doing a good job but sometimes it could be that… I don’t know.

As my computer starts, I prefer sitting on the plastic chair rather than on the wooden chair. The latter is tiny, meant for kids. It is comfortable for other purpose like eating, just taking a rest etc. My legs feel comfortable when I sit on this small chair. This reminds me of another thing. I have a stooping posture. This was acquired especially during my college days. I need to correct it. My shoulders are paining because of it. My pencil neck is also a matter of concern for me. Ram Jane what will happen if I am not aware.

I failed to tell you about my computer. It takes time you see. The time within pressing the button and asking for my password I can tell you nearly half of Ramayana.

This is my first assignment. I shouldn’t have told you this. You must speak like a pro does and let the narration dictate. My computer is on the brink of opening, I enter the password. And I face another problem. This problem is the connection to the net is pretty slow. This is again a recent problem and I have learnt to live with it. As the management gurus say you must adapt instead of oppose. I surf through the net especially flipkart and amazon (for getting details about the book) and try surfing it for a while. I spend nearly half an hour to one hour surfing to know what is the in thing about the latest books in the market. In our language they say that even a dog doesn’t bark at the person who doesn’t have a job. I shouldn’t have mentioned it but this is what they say. It is a popular statement amongst every body. I therefore retain at my present job as a narrator. Joking.

I ate some food made for dinner and then read some books in my cocoon above and that tells me to later that I should go to sleep. I recall my Sir and then I go to sleep. End of day.

The next day I have an interview and I have to prepare for it. In what way can I prepare. I don’t know. They sometimes ask so nasty questions. I went to meet my friend and a senior and a well-wisher to my automobile company where I had done my training during my college days. I was so happy that I couldn’t tell you. I took the train, I don’t remember the time now. Ah! Let me leave it. Clock is circular, time is not important work is etc etc. I went to the station. It took about 1 hour to reach the destination. Before that I forgot to tell you that I had gone to a printout wala. My pen drive he told wasn’t working at his computer. What a crash of ideas. My whole SOP had to be changed. It was all squares inside the document. I refrained from taking printout anything like this obviously and took my pen drive and changed my way. Rickshaw, that is what I had to catch before I make some mental rehearsal as to what should I say. I opened my bag and searched for cash to give it to the rickshaw. We went through sharing. Three people you see, totally different people from different backgrounds sitting in one rickshaw. Great idea! Hope we could share some other things also like that.

While sitting I could see a traffic policeman managing the crowd there and pretty diligently. In the mean while I placed a Rs 100 note in my pocket. Where did I end? I ended in the yellow gate of the company. I was still not prepared. Just not prepared. It felt so selfish of me to talk to them only when I wanted a job. But I did remember them from time to time so I moved forward. Rain God showed his presence and then I had to open my bag and run straight under a tree to protect me from rain. There I opened my umbrella and felt pretty safe for the time being.

I rushed in the moment the rain went off. I asked the security about the gate pass and he kindly told me that I need to get it from the other window beside him. I signed the register and the person inside me told them I was wrong. I shouldn’t have signed. This register is for vendors. I think that is what he said. I could be wrong. I don’t remember. He gave me the number and I was happy and contended to receive it. After calling from there I took the gate pass and then I went inside. Turning left I walked by the road side (the premises was huge) and entered into a tower where a person was sitting and most probably he was the receptionist there. He was wonderful and kind in coming with me and directing me where to go. It was on the yellow side not on the green side. I had to go to the first floor and that is what I was told. Later, panting and panting I went to a person and asked. Probably, he was seeing me and he was courteous to come with me and show the exact place. I thank him for that. Or I would have still traveled more. Later I met the person whom I came to meet. I was enthralled to see him. He had shaped French beard and that was it he was looking the same.

I greeted him first. I presume he too was happy to see me. Unfortunately, when I asked him where the others are he told me that they all have left except one. I told him seriously that I want a job in the company. I presented him my resume and then he went through it once. I don’t think he would not consider my CV frivolous. I asked him whether I can get admission in the present department. I also showed some interest in joining other departments like Maintenance. He said it was not possible to get into maintenance with my CV. He also told that he could help me in joining the HR Department. He will send the CV to HR and let me know. He also told that they cannot create vacancy for anyone however they can forward it to HR Department. The system works this way. The President signs the vacancy list. He told me to send the CV to his email. I thanked him and he also wished me luck. I am sure that next time he calls me I am going to give him a treat.

I returned back to the gate where I surrendered my gate pass and the id card. Looked for a rickshaw outside, caught a train and then went home.

The next day as I was sending the resume I found that I hadn’t sent it to the right address. What to do? I tried all possible combinations. Nothing worked. I even thought of calling him. But later I sent one last email and hopefully to the right address and then it reached. I thanked God for that. This is what I wrote:
Date: Jul 15, 2011

Dear Sir

Once again Hi! How are you?

I couldn’t articulate myself when we met a few days back. This is a
very special letter from one of your trainee. I really had a wonderful
time at ‘our’ department. I call it ‘our’ because I feel very close to
you. Remember the day when I last called you. It was when I got a job.
I was so thrilled to tell you. You all were also happy for me. By the way,
I was confused whether to address you
all as Sir or by your first name. Please don’t mind it. You all are
not old.

I remember one day that my computer went down and I lost all the
report and you told me I could have helped you if you had told me, you
shouldn’t have switched off the computer. I am sorry; I couldn’t
contact you after that. The experience with you has certainly been
worthy. People still tell me you have done your project from there.
It is a great company, isn’t it?

It is very unfortunate to say something like this. I am searching for
a job for time being

Give my regards to everybody. Please give my heart felt wishes to all of them.

Thank you for reading.

Regards,
Me

He gave me a reply mail and then my happiness outsized me. But was a bit disappointed as to hear from him that I would not get in maintenance nor in industrial engineering department. However, I sent a detailed letter to him, since I could not express myself in front of him. I sometimes write good letters. I have to be more consistent. Fingers crossed good news. Just waiting for it.

In the mean time, I have given my resume to a tutorial that is close to my house. I am not sure whether they will accept it or not. So much time gap is not worth appreciating. But I still feel it is not in my hands. After giving around 19 interviews I am sure any Tom, Dick and Harry would have got by now. Instead of asking the almighty, I should have asked men who operate the world. God is just a puppet in human affairs. He seldom changes his laws. Neither men change nor God. I have to ask them whether I have any vacancy.

Here, I sent a mail to my earlier company. The letter looks like this:

Respected Sir,

How are you? I hope you are doing fine. It is embarrassing to say that
I am in a job crisis. I have been working at a company called Liberation
Coaches Pvt. Ltd but however, due to limited increment in my salary I
left it and I am writing this to you. I have tried at many places but
still unable to get proper response.

Please give my regards to everyone in the plant. I hope that you will
certainly help me get a proper job in the plant or in the office. From
my CV you will come to know that I have HR Experience also. My memory
of Production Planning Department is still fresh.

I hope that I am not giving much trouble by asking for a job.

Once again thank you for reading this email

Awaiting eagerly for your reply,

Regards

Me.

I should not write this. It is too personal. Isn’t it? With both letter spent I am little loosened up. I am particularly thinking to get into a Department of my liking. That is all in my head for the time being. I have to convert it into reality. I will increase my head ache and that is what I feel but I am ready to dip myself into the pond. I end my assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment