Sunday, September 5, 2010

contd...drawing made simple

Recently, while I was going through some old drawings I realized that drawing was never taught the way it is. We are so much obsessed that a house must have a triangle on top of a rectangle it nearly spoils the whole know-how of drawing. Somebody must have conditioned us to draw like that.

Just an hour before if you asked me to draw a tree or a house I would have done the same thing. Drawing a triangle above a rectangle. But now if you ask me to draw a house or a tree I have learnt to take the matter less seriously and draw it as it is. This 'as-it-is' method of doing something is not what we are used to. Be it drawing or any other skill. We are no longer beginners in any skill. We have this notion of knowing before knowing.

So when we see something and try to plot it on a paper we try to or we do change the whole drawing. The truth behind all these is that we must take the drawing as it is. But that too is an art. An art that needs eye-hand coordination skill. And skill can be learnt with practice by taking one thing at a time. Even though we can write an essay on how to draw, is it the same as drawing. I don't think so. Doing is different from learning to do. But by learning to do we can make the doing slightly easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment